Sunday, July 19, 2015

Other part of Day 6 Friday----***My blog is all over the place because of the many interruptions that occur, the attention span of focusing on only one task is so far from constructive I am on the brink of accepting a mediocre BLOG record***

Travel day once again, I attempted to cook a delicious breakfast before all the chef’s wake up (aka everyone else).


Almost a success, after everyone began to wake up the comments and suggestions of how to cook took place. At last, breakfast was completed, everyone had their share of bacon, potatoes, eggs and Mr. Black’s wonderful pancakes. The meal was not cooked to perfection, never the less, it was a cooked meal.




After my meal, I consumed a much deserved cup coffee, the worst best tasting coffee I’ve tasted yet.

Next I began working on a blog, but, as the week has been going, someone always needs my assistance with technology or something that relates. So I decided to break away while everyone was doing their chores, this is when I notice one of the locals playing basketball.

When I arrived to the Basketball (the size was only half-court), I asked if I could take pictures, the young man replied “NO do not take pictures of me!” My response was, ok, that’s cool do you mind if I play basketball with you, he threw me the ball. In this little time our discussion consisted of education T. (I’ll refer to his name as “T” since he was concerned about his photography, I assume his identity is just as important). To my surprise T, was a freshman in high school, and he attended the Dalles High School, he began explaining how different that school is. I asked him about college, he mentioned that he wanted to attend Portland State University, T’s sister’s attended P.S.U. , so I gather it is a traditional school for the family. I mentioned to T how I heard about the new tuition free Community College Act for the state of Oregon, he already had knowledge of this, T had just taken the first test for qualification.

Somehow our conversation escalated from my introduction why I was there to the topic on Native’s being the biggest minorities in the education system. That I was a part of a family that never allowed me to stay in one place during my middle school and high school age, therefore I was usually the only Native in school. T shared the same exposure in his schools, since we attended public schools and not Tribal schools, we had shared a commonality. Knowing that I have a similar background and am currently in college, his reciprocation was in the least very involved.

T’s goals are to be a Math major, he is the youngest of his siblings, which I referred to “Babyboy” and all his siblings are sisters. I told him that is really good, he will have a lot of insight from having older siblings, especially all sisters. I believe the bond from our conversation could have taken all day, but since I am on this Environmental Science class trip, I eventually had to go. We shot baskets for the remaining time before we departed to our next destination.

Our caravan was on the trip heading towards the Columbia Gorge Destination Center. 

This was a pleasant destination, I learned about the short-faced bear, this bear used to roam the area. Much larger than a Polar Bear, lighter than a Brown Bear, yet the uniqueness lies in its legs and short-face.








Another fascination was the photographer Benjamin Gifford. Basically Mr. Gifford took many pictures ranging from the nature of the area, railroad construction, and local machinery outfits. His pictures was so good, they was on postcards and enlarged to be placed on the walls of exquisite hotels. After his death, his heirs sold 12,000 of his negatives to Sawyer, Inc., the view master company.






After the visit, we had lunch at a local park.

Lastly before we departed we had permission to see the PICTOGRAPHS, such a great opportunity, I took a few pictures of these awesome pieces of northwest history. Regardless how hot it barely was compared to what I had left (when I left the valley, the temperature a steady and grilling triple digits heat). Here are some pictures, please enjoy.








Afterwards we journeyed to the Spokane area, finally arriving to the KOA in the Spokane area.





No comments:

Post a Comment