Saturday, July 18, 2015

Day 5 Arrival to Celilo Village

Day 5: POBR2015 Late morning on the campground, of course lunch in between; Celilo Village/Longhouse:



On our way to the Village we stopped at Safeway for some much needed updates from notebooks to our actual BLOG… Most of my time was spent updating all the FB sites that I have been nominated to maintain updates. I am the Administrator for the FB Page Environmental Programs Heritage University page, sooo, what this means is the updates you see on this page is thanks to yours truly. If you have not seen the page, please go and like that page and make a few comments bad or good, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. 


Job completed with the little connectivity to our disposable (FB Environmental page that is, not my BLOGS)… Which was very SLOW internet, regardless the task was completed. Which provided a few minutes to catch up on my WORD document records (documentation of my records about this environmental science class).




Upon arrival to Celilo Village, our speakers was present to greet us and showed us where to go. We as students were not prepared for the first 3 speakers, which was brief yet informative. To be honest, I just wanted to take a shower because we did not shower the last few days… Feeling very greasy… I think the campfire last night hid the smell of our stench (haha). 



Inside, the discussions began from our Longhouse officials. The information emphasized much on the Lamphrey Eel, the logic on everything from the pheromones released from the Males that attract the females, how the Eels burrow into the sand and do not develop eyes until it is an adult. Lamphrey Eels really have no way to protect itself against predators. After it is an adult, the Eel travels to the Sea and latches onto other sea life, other large sea traveling animals such as Whales, Sharks. And that is the lifecycle of an Lamphrey Eel.




Upon the arrival of Mr. Paul Lumley, he provided a lot of information about the Columbia, the Dams, the Fishes, about Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commision (CRITFC) which sounds like a flexible career. What stood out the most about Mr. Lumley was his abundant information and background, very impressive. Mr. Lumley provided some insight on his struggles as a high school student and some challenges going to college.

Basically being at the right place at the right time as far as careers go, such a blessing to have experience as this man. He worked for the government on certain projects in Washington D.C.

All of the material Mr. Lumley provided was extremely detailed, I am truly impressed by a professional person as he is… I don’t know but this visit seemed a bit on a last minute detail, but overall everyone fit their schedule in and provided their knowledge with great detail. 


After the discussion, we commenced on the abstraction of invasive species (aka pulling weeds), of course I did not pack gloves so I began helping without gloves… And of course someone gets pulled away from their duty to do something else so YAY, I get a pair of gloves.

I handed Mrs. Graciela Black my camera, because really the camera is my records keeper… It seems difficult to remember everything if I cannot take pictures but afterwards, I had an opportunity to take some amazing pictures… Here are a few….



I am still learning all the functions on my camera. Here are a few, I hope you enjoy these moments captured from a few different points of view.





These three are a couple of my new friends, what a great late night pic of our adventure!












No comments:

Post a Comment